Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC)

Last Updated: January 2, 2022

Written by the Open Caregiving Team. Editorial review by Joyce O. Murphy RN, MSN.

What is an Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC)?

The ADRC is a place where different people can get help in their community. They visit ADRC offices to:

  • Get solid, reliable information about resources and service options available to them.
  • Learn how best to manage their situation with what they have, especially when in need.

Who is eligible to get help from an ADRC?

The ADRC is open to people of all income levels. ADRCs help:

  • Aging adults.
  • People who have disabilities.
  • Family caregivers.
  • Veterans and their families.

What is the difference between an ADRC and Area Agency on Aging (AAoA)?

The ADRC serves a wider range of people than the AAoA, such as:

  • People from any age group.
  • People of all income levels.

Area Agencies on Aging typically serve individuals 60 and older.

What services do ADRCs offer?

Aging and Disability Resource Centers offer a wide range of services including:

  • Help for families seeking long-term support and care for their loved ones.
  • Unbiased information about public and private programs that will offer assistance.
  • Counseling to help people figure out how to best use their income and finances.
  • Guidance to assist people in making the best decisions for themselves and their family.

How can ADRCs help caregivers?

The ADRC is part of a network of local services that connects people with help in their community.

  • They help with making a long-term plan for a person’s family or loved one.
  • They point out services and resources that will take some of the burden off of caregivers.
  • They will explain complex health insurance information.
  • They can assist with completing applications to take part in a program or service.

How can I contact my local ARDC?

You can reach your local ARDC by using the Eldercare Locator. NOTE: If you don’t get results for your zip code, enter the zip of a larger town near you.

How are ARDCs funded?

The ADRC offices get funding from:

  • The U.S. Health and Human Services Administration
  • The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
  • The Veterans Administration

Was this helpful?

Sign up for our newsletter to receive new caregiver stories, resources, and support each week.

Related Topics To Learn About

Area Agency on Aging

Area Agencies on Aging are organizations that share information and local resources for people who are aging and their caregivers.

Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)

FMLA allows qualified employees to take up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave per year to handle family and medical circumstances while keeping their health benefits and job.